Did you get your key broken in a lock? Broken door or car keys are a serious problem. No matter how durable your key is, it may it may break in time just due to repetitive use. Breakage normally occurs in the cuts of a key.
Why do Keys Break in Locks and Ignitions?
There are two major reasons why keys break in locks:
- Keys with multiple deep cuts have weak points. The deeply cut areas are where breakage usually occurs
- The material of key is made of determines how long it will last. Light material such as aluminum blanks will not last as long. For keys that are frequently used, invest in a durable material
If your key breaks when it is in a lock or ignition, Paragon Security & Locksmith can help. We have the necessary tools to extract the broken piece of key without doing any damage to your lock. Once your broken key is removed from the lock, we can provide you with a new key made from copying the two pieces.
Why Choose Paragon Security & Locksmith? Our commitment. We hold every interaction with every customer to the highest standard. We are extremely proud of our repeat business and utmost level of customer satisfaction. We all have the same needs, so you can rest assured that the quality of service Paragon Security provides to you will exceed your expectations.
How to Get a Broken Key Out of a Lock
- Spray WD-40 or a similar penetrating oil into the keyhole to help the broken key piece slide out more easily.
- Use a flat head screwdriver to turn the lock back to its default position if it is not already.
- Insert needle-nosed pliers and try to grab the the broken key piece and pull out.
- If that doesn’t work, try what locksmiths use: a jigsaw. Insert one into the keyhole with the teeth facing downward until it can grab the broken key piece, which you can then pull out.
- And if you still can’t remove the broken key, you ought to call an expert locksmith like Paragon Security.